Learning WordPress Logic

WordPress is a vast and complex platform and although you can sign up to wordpress.com and have a blog in 5 minutes, and you can install a self-hosted version in just about the same time, mastering WordPress and getting it to behave how you want can be a massive undertaking. Now I am by no means an expert but I have become experienced in the art of trial and error. Sometimes a lot more error.

Bending WordPress to my will for what I want out of it is sometimes a real pain in the arse. But this is more likely because I am trying to get the system to give me the results I want by trying to straighten a circle. In other words, there are probably better ways that I have no knowledge about, to achieve what I am looking for. Trial and error.

Plugins, love them or hate them there is one for everything right? Well sometimes not. But someday there will be. I would say that at the moment the main focus of my WordPress Development is to try to understand how to write a complete plugin. – I am just starting, having just realised I can stick a snippet of code in a plugin rather than messing around with the functions.php file. I love that I know how to do this now. It doesn’t always work and that is why I know I still have ways to go.

Sometimes I mess up. For example today while trying to come up with a workaround for a problem a client identified with a site I was struggling to login to a copy of a website. Everything was set right, database, urls etc, but I could not achieve login. So with a bit of clear thought I traced the issue back to a plugin that required an api key to function. So I started to think, is there a way I can disable or bypass this plugin without access to the admin dashboard (so I could login to the admin dashboard), and as it turns out, there is. Two methods I discovered and tried one of them today myself.

I found a post written by Steve Burge on www.ostraining.com of how to disable a WordPress Plugin by simply navigating to the plugin folder via a filebrowser or ftp client and renaming the plugin folder by adding -disabled to the end of it. I was amazed at how simple that was and that it worked. The second way to do it is via the WordPress SQL Database which Steve explains further down his post (linked above). He explains it far better than I know I could!

WordPress is brilliantly simple sometimes. Its all Logic.